Common Questions About The Grove Church
Who is The Grove Church?
The Grove Church is a casual, welcoming contemporary new church. We are made up of people of different backgrounds, races, ages, and life stages. Whoever you are, you are assured a warm welcome. We meet at 6855 Lincoln Road Extension, Hattiesburg, MS. Our purpose is to connect people to God, to others, and to service. The Grove Church believes that many times we over-complicate what it means to do church – with committees, rules, and regulations. We strive to be a simple church for a complex world.
When should I arrive?
Most people choose to make our Sunday morning service their first visit to check out the church. The time of music and teaching from the Bible begins at 10:30 a.m., but make sure to arrive 15 minutes early if you can to grab a free snack and drink from our refreshment counter.
Will I be singled out?
We won’t ask you to do anything that would embarrass you during the service. Our regulars are pretty good about welcoming people, but you won’t be asked to stand and introduce yourself during the service or anything like that. We may give you a free gift if we notice you as a new guest. This varies from time to time, but could be a book, cd, or gift card.
What should I wear?
The Grove Church is comfortable and casual. Simply wear what you feel comfortable wearing. You will see several people around you wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but feel free to dress up if that’s your style.
What is available for my children?
We realize that your first visit can make you nervous. Children’s ministry shouldn’t be something to stress over. Our screened volunteers, under the direction of our children’s ministers, can check your child into the nursery and preschool, or GroveKidz (grades 1-5). You may also keep your children with you in the service if you prefer.
What is your music like?
Our band, Bridge, is made up of electric and acoustic guitarists, a bass player, drummer, and keyboard.
What should I expect?
Going to a new place for the first time can be nerve-racking. Don’t worry – we all had our own “first day” at church. When you walk in, there will be friendly greeters to direct you where to go and help answer any questions you have. Here is a rundown of what goes on during our church service:
- Refreshments: Join us for coffee, kool-aid, pastries, and fruit before the service. Some people enjoy arriving well before the service begins just to chat and relax.
- Our Worship Service: We will begin at 10:30 a.m. with about 30 minutes of singing led by our contemporary band. Feel free to sit, stand, sing or just listen as we express our worship to God. If you don’t know the songs, we will have the words on the screen – and don’t worry, we didn’t know them at first either.
- The Message: A time of practical teaching from the Bible.
- The Offering: This is a time for church members to share with the church financially how God has blessed them. If you are a visitor, don’t feel you have to contribute. Consider this service our gift to you!
- Prayer Time: There will be pastors available after the service to pray for any needs you may have if desired.
The service runs right around one hour in length.
Will I be expected to give?
Absolutely not. The time of giving is for our members to contribute to what God is doing here at The Grove.
We are a Christian church that exists to connect people to God, to others, and to service. We are affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, yet we also have friendly relationships with other local churches from differing denominations. If you want the nitty gritty of what we believe, check out our statement of faith.
Is your church facility handicap accessible?
We try to be as accessible as possible. Please contact the church office if you have any specific questions about The Grove Church’s facilities or ask one of our friendly greeters if you need any assistance.
I still have questions…
We’d be happy to chat with you by phone or email. You can call us at 601-680-5009 or contact us online.