Before you are baptized, you should learn about how to have a Fresh Start with God.
Baptism is the way we publicly announce what Jesus has done in our lives. Jesus was baptized out of obedience to His Father. “After Jesus was baptized, He went up immediately from the water. The heavens suddenly opened up for Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming down on Him. And there came a voice from heaven: “This is My beloved Son. I take delight in Him!” – Matthew 3:16-17 Baptism demonstrates your obedience as well.
Who is to be baptized?
You are to be baptized if:
- you have trusted Jesus as your Savior and made a fresh start with God;
- you know that baptism is a symbol of what Jesus has done for you and is an expression of obedience to Christ;
- you are not ashamed to follow Christ’s example.
Why be baptized?
Every follower of Jesus should be baptized because…
- Jesus commands it. “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them.” Mathew 28:19
- Baptism demonstrates obedience. Jesus set the example (Mark1:9). Also, Jesus’ followers obeyed His command to be baptized (Acts 2:41, 8:38)
- Baptism represents a picture of breaking from the past and making a Fresh Start with Christ. “We were buried with Him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too may walk in a new way of life.” Romans 6:4
- In the New Testament, baptism is a public testimony of faith. “Those who accepted his message [about Jesus] were baptized.” Acts 2:41
Baptism at The Grove Church
One of the Pastors would be delighted to baptize you after you have made a Fresh Start with God. There are several ways to go about this:
- Attend Class 101: The Basics to learn about baptism, among other things, and express your desire there.
- Write on your Connection Card that you would like to be baptized.
- Contact us online.
After you let us know of your desire to be baptized, we will talk with you to make sure you understand your decision and schedule a time for your baptism. Invite your friends! This is a time of celebration! Guys can wear a swimsuit and a t-shirt. Women should wear shorts and a dark colored shirt. Because your clothes can get heavy when wet, we do not recommend wearing pants during your baptism. A room to change will be provided. Please bring a change of clothes and a bag for your wet clothes for after your baptism. Special needs? Let one of the Pastors know and we can make appropriate arrangements.